Saturday, March 5, 2016

Semester begins!

The 2016 Spring semster started this week. The department, the center, and the school are now busier with new and returning students and staff and faculty who came from the vacation and started to keep regular business hours. And, of course the most obvious difference for the academic staff is that the teaching schedule started. The first class for me, for graduate students on MRI engineering, went fairly well, I think. I also delivered the first BME undergraduate seminar for the second-year undergraduate students. Returning to a Korean classroom nearly 17 years after I left for California, now as a teacher, gives me a very special feeling. I was hoping to be able to be effective in both languages, but I must admit, doing all that with proper preparation of the lecture materials is quite a task. I do feel that given enough time, I would be one of those who would enjoy teaching. Hope the students felt the same.

A few first impressions:
1. Internet makes it easy to find pictures for the lecture slides, on any subject.
2. There is a clear discrepency between the international language requirement by the University and the preference of both the students and the lecturers in the classroom.
3. I do feel that it would be helpful to have a definite class textbook (or a reader printout) for the graduent class I am running. This will improve as course develops.
4. Being able to address the students, albeit demanding, is a privilege, and a big and unmeasurable one.

No comments:

Post a Comment