Monday, February 29, 2016

Impressions from the conference

The organizers did an excellent job in hosting the small but respectable conference at KRISS. It is indeed a significant news that International Conference on Biomagnetism is being hosted in October in Seoul. I hear that there will be about 700 attendees, and the initial interest in opening special program sessions ("symposia") is encouraging. Good job, for the local MEG communities!

1. MEG and EEG are still struggling with low confidence in source localization. MEG is still trying to position itself as a cost-justified modality with unique capabilities. EEG is not as easy to use as one might think when it comes to source localization, due to need to exactly know sensor positions and handling time for many sensors with good skin contact. For fMRI, I asked Dr. Kim Seong-gi (on return to Suwon) on making scan faster; his assessment is that blood response-dependent nature of fMRI is the real source of sluggishness and poor time resolution. The desired resolution, it appears to me, is about 100 ms. For example, what is called N170 [ms] is related to facial recognition. I still feel it feasible to make fMRI useful in detecting fast dynamic functional processes.

2. Daejeon is rural for most part, and the train station on a Friday night is very crowded, with roads conjested that lead to the station, and many weekend travelers heading to the Seoul area. Passengers in the train were courteous; they refrained from making loud noise using cell phones. The railroad staff did not check train tickets, I guess it may be done randomly.

3. I thank our Center's chauffeur for giving me a ride to KRISS, door to door, in the morning. I was able to read a QSM article by F. Schweser in the car. It was about Homogeneity-Enabled Incremental Dipolar Inversion, dubbed HEIDI. I should make my own inversion code, ultimately.

No comments:

Post a Comment